Thursday 27 December 2012

I'm no Martha, but.....

I do like to bake. Especially at Christmas.
Store bought cookies just don't do it for me, too many ingredients I can't pronounce.
Baking makes me feel so much better about myself. I bake for self-esteem.

The last few months have been all about avoiding wheat, as I recently discovered it doesn't like me.
Gluten I can do. But no AP flour for me. I have experimented with lots of different flours, almond, coconut, spelt, kamut, buckwheat. I have never created an "All purpose gluten free mix" cause I simply have not needed to (yet) Since I don' t need to be gluten free, spelt, and kamut are fair game and as luck would have it easy to substitute.
So this year I adapted three different recipes to accommodate the flours I had on hand

1.) Good ol' gingerbread men.
 These came from the WeightWatchers website:
.http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=50669



I substituted kamut and light spelt flour for the AP flour, palm shortening for the "light butter", and palm sugar for the sugar.


2.) Chocolate Chip Shortbread, adapted from http://familyfoodandtravel.com/2012/12/chocolate-chip-shortbread.html Thanks Kerrie.

For this one I simply substituted light spelt flour.


The next two are adapted from Clean Eating Magazine website's
I use this a a base recipe then added ingredients to create 

a.) Cinnamon Roll Almond Butter cookies
for these I added 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla and omitted the dark chocolate

Props to Leanne Vogel of  Healthful Pursuit for this 
as my failure at this recipe led to these cookies. 


And 
b.) Cocoa Candycane Cookies


for these I added 1/3 cup cocoa powder and 1 tsp peppemint extract, then sprinkled crushed candycane on top. 
I think "Elf on the Shelf " left the "kiss"



Here are the finished products ready to go to Grandma's 



All in all I was pleased with this years batch....looking forward to next year.

What are your go to holiday recipes??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment